How to not get Offended

A friend of mine asked me to write about how to not get offended a while back but I was in a situation where I used to get offended at least once a day. First of all, I had to find a solution.
I tried to understand why some people try to be offensive. I observed people around me every day, including those who are trying to offend me. I came to the conclusion that the people who are offending other people are just trying to make themselves feel better or they need that person’s attention or maybe the offender has no such intention of offending. 
Words are more treacherous and powerful than we think. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I came to this conclusion because I used to be an offender, maybe I still am, and people offended me, they still do, but I ignore them by accepting reality. I find it very hard to stop offending others because it is my habit to reply without thinking about what that person said.
I used to work hard to change their thoughts about me so that they would stop offending me. But I realized that I was wrong, I should try to change myself to make them stop hurting me. And that is working.
Remain calm and reply with Grace. It is the best way to not get offended. It is very hard to find a person who doesn’t offend someone and get offended. It is just like finding the oasis in a desert. Wisdom can help a person to get out of that situation and wisdom can be granted by experience. It doesn’t mean that you should go and offend people, it means that if you are stuck in that kind of situation again you must not make the mistakes you made before, take your time think about what he said and then act.
Everyone is smart enough to know what to reply but not everyone is wise enough to know when to reply. This is the key to not get offended.

Comments

  1. I have found that the older I get, the less I worry about a lot of what others say or think. I really don’t have time to worry about others offending me, but if someone feels offended by something I say I go ahead and apologize. When I was younger stuff like this would consume me, not anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts